Seasonal Influenza: The Disease
Influenza (the flu) is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses (opens in a new tab). It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. Some people, such as older people, young children, and people with certain health conditions (opens in a new tab), are at high risk for serious flu complications. The best way to prevent the flu is by getting vaccinated each year.
To learn more:
- How do I take precautions to prevent getting the flu?
- How is the flu spread?
- Help! I am feeling sick and don't know if I need to see a physician.
- Help! I am feeling sick and need information on self-care measures.
- Medications available to help reduce symptoms and precautions to help prevent the spread of the flu.
- Flu Vaccine Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (opens in a new tab)