Seasonal Influenza: The Disease
Influenza (the flu) is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses . It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. Some people, such as older people, young children, and people with certain health conditions , are at high risk for serious flu complications. The best way to prevent the flu is by getting vaccinated each year.
To learn more:
- How do I take precautions to prevent getting the flu?
- How is the flu spread?
- Help! I am feeling sick and don't know if I need to see a physician.
- Help! I am feeling sick and need information on self-care measures.
- Medications available to help reduce symptoms and precautions to help prevent the spread of the flu.
- Flu Vaccine Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)