Student Insurance Information
INSURANCE PORTAL NOW OPEN TO ENROLL OR WAIVE. CLICK LINK BELOW.
If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 828-262-7463,
or come by the Insurance Office in Student Health Services
8:00am-4:30pm, Monday - Friday
HEALTH INSURANCE REQUIREMENT – FALL SEMESTER 2019
- Students are required to have health insurance. Students may remain on their parents’ insurance or buy their own insurance. Students provide the university proof of insurance with an on-line waiver. Students without insurance may purchase the Student Blue Student Health Insurance.
- The web portal will open May 1, 2019 to September 10, 2019, to waive or enroll in the Student Blue insurance. Click the Student Blue link above.
- Please read the emails from Student Blue and Student Health Insurance for the most up-to-date status of your waiver request. Emails will be sent to the student’s appstate email address. Student Blue has the option for you to have a secondary email address, such as a parent’s address.
STUDENT BLUE COST AND COVERAGE DATES
The UNC System has selected Student Blue as the Student Health Insurance carrier for the 2018-19 academic year. Student Blue is underwritten by Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina. Click on the link below to download a brochure with all the the cost and coverage information.
Who is Required to Have Insurance?
The following Appalachian State students are required to have health insurance and are automatically charged for the UNC System Student Health Insurance Plan when they register for the semester. You must provide proof of insurance on-line at the Student Blue link above in order to waive the premium:
- Undergraduate Students: enrolled in six (6) or more degree-seeking credit hours and eligible to pay the student health service fee.
- Graduate Students: enrolled in credit hours in a degree-seeking or certificate program and eligible to pay the student health service fee.
Important Additional Information
- The Insurance requirement does not apply to students enrolled in a Distance Education program.
- Many online courses are not designated as Distance Education.
- Medicaid Family Planning is not credible health insurance and will not be approved to obtain a waiver.
- If you have been charged for the Student Blue plan on your AppState Student Account, you are required to have insurance.
- Only students who are eligible for the mandatory hard waiver UNC System Student Health Insurance Plan are eligible for coverage.
- All charges for the Student Blue insurance premium will appear on your AppState Student Account. Please review it to see charges and credits. When your waiver has been approved, a credit in the amount of the premium will appear on your Student Account.
- Student Blue insurance will NOT provide coverage for dependents, (spouses, domestic partners and children). It also does not cover students on a voluntary basis.
- To waive using Tricare insurance, enter the sponsor or Military Member’s social security number.
- If you are purchasing Student Blue insurance, you must go online to activate the insurance.
- Insurance premiums cannot be prorated.
If you have any questions about the insurance or why you were charged for insurance, please call or email us.
Page content edit: 07/10/2019 fwg