Student Insurance Information
The insurance portal is now open to either enroll or waive!
If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org, call (828)262-7463, or come by the Insurance Office in M.S. Shook Student Health Service between the hours of 8:00 am-4:00 pm, Monday - Friday.
Health Insurance Requirement – Spring/Summer 2022
- Students are required to have health insurance. Students may remain on their parents’ insurance or buy their own insurance. Students provide the University with proof of insurance with an online waiver. Students without insurance may purchase the Student BlueSM Student Health Insurance.
- The web portal will open November 1, 2022 and remain open until January 31, 2022 to waive or enroll in the Student BlueSM insurance.
- Please read the emails from Student BlueSM and Student Health Insurance for the most up-to-date status of your waiver request. Emails will be sent to the student’s AppState email address. Student BlueSM has the option for you to have a secondary email address, such as a parent’s address.
Cost and Coverage Dates
The UNC System has selected Student BlueSM as the Student Health Insurance carrier for the 2022 academic year. Student BlueSM is underwritten by Blue Cross Blue Shield® of North Carolina.
Who is Required to Have Insurance?
The following Appalachian State students are required to have health insurance and are automatically charged for the UNC System Student Health Insurance Plan when they register for the semester. You must provide proof of insurance online at the Student BlueSM in order to waive the premium.
Students required to have insurance:
- Undergraduate students enrolled in six or more degree-seeking credit hours and who have paid the student health service fee.
- Graduate students with three hours of thesis, dissertation, or internship should contact The Cratis D. Williams School of Graduate Studies for verification of eligibility.
Important Additional Information
- The insurance requirement does not apply to students enrolled in a Distance Education program, but they are eligible to purchase if they choose.
- Medicaid Family Planning is not credible health insurance and will not be approved to obtain a waiver.
- If you have been charged for the Student Blue plan on your AppState student account, you are required to have insurance.
- All charges for the Student BlueSM insurance premium will appear on your AppState student account. Please review it to see charges and credits. When your waiver has been approved, a credit in the amount of the premium will appear on your student account.
- Student BlueSM insurance will NOT provide coverage for dependents, (spouses, domestic partners and children).
- To waive using Tricare insurance, enter the sponsor or military member’s social security number.
- If you are purchasing Student BlueSM insurance, you must go online to activate the insurance.
- Insurance premiums cannot be prorated.
If you have any questions about the insurance or why you were charged for insurance, please call or email us.
Page content reviewed: 12/09/21 KCS