FALL 2018 WAIVE/ENROLL PERIOD IS CURRENTLY OPEN
If you have questions, email email@example.com, call 828-262-7463,
or come by the Insurance Office in Student Health Services
8:00am-4:30pm Monday - Friday
HEALTH INSURANCE REQUIREMENT – FALL SEMESTER 2018
- Students are required to have health insurance. Students may remain on their parents’ insurance or buy their own insurance. Students provide the university proof of insurance with an on-line waiver. Students without insurance may purchase the Student Blue Student Health Insurance.
- The web portal will open April 16, 2018 to September 10, 2018, to waive or enroll in the Student Blue insurance. Verification of insurance will begin June 1, 2018. Click the Student Blue link above.
- The premium for Fall Semester 2018 Student Blue health insurance is $1293.88. The benefits, deductible and copay are the same as the Fall & Spring 2017 Student Blue insurance.
- If you have insurance, you must have an approved waiver or your will be responsible for the Student Blue insurance premium of $1293.88.
- Please read the emails from Student Blue and Student Health Insurance for the most up-to-date status of your waiver request. Emails will be sent to the student’s appstate email address. Student Blue has the option for you to have a secondary email address, such as a parent’s address.
STUDENT BLUE COST AND COVERAGE DATES
The UNC System has selected Student Blue as the Student Health Insurance carrier for the 2018-19 academic year. Student Blue is underwritten by Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina.
The Student Blue premium for 2018-19 is charged twice a year.
$1293.88 for the Fall Semester (coverage for August 1 - December 31, 2018)
$1293.88 for the Spring Semester (coverage for January 1 - July 31, 2019)
The annual cost is $2587.76 which is equivalent to $215.65 per month.
- The deadline to waive the student health insurance is September 10, 2018. All waivers must be submitted on-line at the Student Blue site (link above). An approved waiver will remove the $1293.88 charge from a Student Account in 4-6 weekdays.
- Fall Semester: To be eligible for a waiver, your insurance must have an effective date no later than September 1, 2018.
- Students who have an existing Blue Cross Blue Shield plan for family or individual coverage must complete the waiver process as well. Students who are covered under a different health insurance plan are welcome to consider Student Blue.
- If you have out-of-state health insurance, please review your insurance plan to confirm the type of medical coverage it has in North Carolina. The waiver verification process does not check this.
WHO IS REQUIRED TO HAVE INSURANCE?
The following Appalachian State students are required to have health insurance and are automatically charged $1293.88 for the UNC System Student Health Insurance Plan when they register for the semester. You must provide proof of insurance on-line at the Student Blue link above in order to waive the premium:
- Undergraduate Students: enrolled in six (6) or more degree-seeking credit hours and eligible to pay the student health service fee.
- Graduate Students: enrolled in nine (9) credit hours in a degree-seeking or certificate program and eligible to pay the student health service fee.
ADDITIONAL INFO… PLEASE READ
- The Insurance requirement does not apply to students enrolled in a Distance Education program.
- Many online courses are not designated as Distance Education.
- Medicaid Family Planning is not credible health insurance and will not be approved to obtain a waiver.
- If you have been charged $1293.88 for the Student Blue plan on your AppState Student Account, you are required to have insurance.
- Only students who are eligible for the mandatory hard waiver UNC System Student Health Insurance Plan are eligible for coverage.
- All charges for the Student Blue insurance premium will appear on your AppState Student Account. Please review it to see charges and credits. When your waiver has been approved, a credit in the amount of the premium will appear on your Student Account.
- Student Blue insurance will NOT provide coverage for dependents, (spouses, domestic partners and children). It also does not cover students on a voluntary basis.
- To waive using Tricare insurance, enter the sponsor or Military Member’s social security number.
- If you are purchasing Student Blue insurance, you must go online to activate the insurance.
- Insurance premiums cannot be prorated.
If you have any questions about the insurance or why you were charged for insurance, please call or email us.
Page content edited: 5/21/18 akn
Miles Annas Building
PO Box 32070
614 Howard Street
Boone, North Carolina 28608
Main: (828) 262-3100
Appointments: (828) 262-6577
Insurance: (828) 262-7463
Medical Records: (828) 262-6578
Laboratory: (828) 262-6956
Fax: (828) 262-6958
Fall and Spring Clinic Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Wednesday: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Fall and Spring Weekends:
Saturday: 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Sunday: 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Pharmacy is CLOSED on weekends and during Semester Breaks